Sunday, October 12, 2008

IRONMAN 2008

The Big Island of Hawaii is home to the world's largest Triathalon. The race is 2.4 miles swim.
112 miles Bike and 26.2 miles Run. It is one of the most amazing things to witness. The roads are all closed down and Helicopters and journalists on Motorcycles follow the athletes. Blake and the Y.Men volunteered so the rest of our family went down to watch and be a part of the festivities. Oke and the boys all bought T-shirts and quickly changed into them to show their kokua to the racers. We saw the men's winner as he transitioned from bike to run. He was WAAAAY in front of his competitors. He finished the race in just over 6 hours. While we waited it out we enjoyed shave ice with ice cream in the middle ...quite a healthy snack considering where we were! WE did walk around a lot and went up steep hills. Oke is gearing up for his two marathons in DEC. "08 and February "09. His goal is to compete in the Ironman next year! Hats off to that one dude!!!! Ford sponsored car in the water.

This cool family was from Australia. Their mum was racing.
Shave Ice!
The runners

2 comments:

Bren's Life said...

Holy Freak.. I think I would die!!! How fun to be able to go & watch though. You are so freaking lucky to live there.
We checked into going there for Chriastmas vacation & for the 6 of us to fly it was $8200.00. So we are going to go every month of the year!! NOT!
I'm so bummed...

Kingohana said...

holy crap ... is that tanner? my gosh he's almost as tall as you! wow... the kids are getting big so fast. You are the blogger champion! I finally posted on my blog. I know call me a slacker, everyone was wondering when I was gonna comeback to the blogging world. Don't know how long it will last! LOL...take care.